Happy New Year!
Have you made a resolution yet? I haven’t made a long-term one because I’m trying something new. I’m focusing on a different resolution per week. You see, adaptability is a strength that’s high on my StrengthsFinder, which means I can go with the flow. So I figure it’s easier to make one resolution each week, which will increase the chances of me keeping them.
My first resolution is one that builds on the Christmas challenge we did with Time of Grace. Our goal was to provide ideas for small acts of service that you could carry out online and in your communities—and you jumped on it! We heard awesome stories of how you blessed the people around you by shining your light and sharing Jesus’ love with them.
I do think, though, that it might make an even bigger impact if we continue to serve now. See, people tend to expect you to be nice to them at Christmas and then fall back into old habits. Let’s surprise them by continuing to love on and care for them.
Taking God’s encouragement from Ephesians 6:7, we are going to “serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not people.” Really, this first week of the new year is focused on serving Jesus by serving others.
Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Send a letter to a missionary or member of the military. Ask your pastor for an address of a missionary; check out this link for multiple agencies that help connect you to military members.
- Take a meal to someone who is sick or lonely or recovering from surgery or just had a baby. Can’t leave the house? Give them a gift card to a restaurant that delivers.
- Reach out to a Facebook friend. Send them a message thanking them for how they have been a blessing in your life.
- Donate stuffed animals to the local police or sheriff departments. Officers often carry them in their trunks in case they meet a child involved in an accident.
- Do a chore for your brother or sister or family member without them asking.
- Check out our Time of Grace Facebook group and scroll through the photos to see the ideas we shared.
We’d love to hear how you kept sharing the love of Jesus in the new year. Add a comment on our Facebook page or send us a message through Instagram.
Linda Buxa is a writer and editor who only knows her top five strengths according to StrengthsFinder but is still pretty sure that discipline is close to the bottom.